Saturday, July 08, 2006

Rank and file

You know the season's getting close when Matt Dougherty, the resident I-AA guru over at The Sports Network, releases his top-to-bottom rankings for the division. That's right, he ranks every team in I-AA, all 122 of 'em. Better him than me.

Matt picks EKU first among OVC teams this year, at #12. Here's how he rates everyone in the conference:

12. Eastern Kentucky
16. Eastern Illinois
35. Jacksonville State
55. Samford
68. UT-Martin
78. Tennessee Tech
81. Tennessee State
83. Murray State
89. Southeast Missouri

Austin Peay, who rejoin the OVC in 2007, come in at #100.

Also, on Thursday, TSN announced its 2006 I-AA All-Americans. Six OVC players were honored. They are:
  • EKU's Pattrick Bugg, a senior tight end, first team
  • EIU's Clint Sellers, a senior linebacker, first team
  • SEMO's David Simonhoff, a senior punter, first team
  • EIU's Jon Reuter, a senior guard, second team
  • EIU's Tristan Burge, a senior safety, second team
  • EKU's Mark Cristiani, a senior defensive tackle, honorable mention
Did they leave anyone out? What do you think of Matt's pre-season rankings of the OVC teams? Click below to comment and discuss.

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, July 08, 2006, Blogger Maynard said...

I don't think Jacksonvile State is that far behind the Easterns, but I guess it's hard to justify having three OVC teams that high.

Plus, I'd rank Tennessee State higher. I've got a strange feeling about them this year, maybe it's indigestion, but I'd say they belong somewhere in the mid-60s at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home