Friday, July 21, 2006

Tiger looking to change his stripes?


Word is Auburn senior cornerback Montavis Pitts is looking to transfer. The Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer and The Anniston Star are reporting Pitts has received his release from the Tigers, and that he's looking to land at Jax State.

Pitts apparently has a checkered past. Most recently, the Columbus story says, he was arrested in Tuskegee June 24 on a DUI charge. He also missed a game in 2004 for violating team rules, and briefly left the team in 2003 to pursue a rap career (he was gone less than a week). After loosing his status as a starter in 2005, it looks like he wants more playing time.

From the university's release at auburntigers.com:
"I made a mistake and have decided that I need to get a fresh start and begin somewhere else," Pitts said. "I've enjoyed my career at Auburn and apologize to my teammates, coaches and the Auburn fans for the mistake I've made, but this is a decision that is in my best interest for my football career, both now and the future."
JSU Head Coach Jack Crowe apparently isn't taking Pitts' arrival or his acceptance for granted. From The Star's story:
“There's no way we can take a guy with a legal situation at hand,” Crowe said. “I sort have to deal with one before I deal with the other one, and I just have to deal with what Tommy (Tuberville, Auburn's head coach) knows about it and make sure that this is a young man who's looking for an opportunity to play and then deal with the reality of what this thing is.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home