Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Wrong!

I missed this one in the Birmingham News on Tuesday. I'd feel bad about that, but it's not near as big a mess-up as the columnist, Ray Melick, made (repeatedly). Why is it that almost every major sports "journalist" in the country seems to insist on misusing the Division I label? In a column on Samford's luck in landing transfers, Melick wrote:
It's not like Samford isn't used to seeing former Division I football players suited up and on the field in Bulldog games. "We've seen it a lot," said Samford Athletics Director Bob Roller. "But usually, they're playing for the other team."
Well, Ray, it's not like Samford isn't used to seeing current Division I players on the field. Every Bulldog who suits up for a game is a Division I player. What you're talking about is the three "Division I-A" transfers SU picked up in the off-season. Division I football has two subclassifications: I-A and I-AA. Both are Division I. That's what the "I" in "I-AA" is for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home